Montessori Inspired Natural CVC Word Set with Board - Literacy Resource
These simple but beautiful Wooden boards are designed to help children learn how to blend and segment letters to create CVC (Consonant, Vowel, Consonant) words in a fun and inviting way.
Support your child’s learning such as helping them to build their understanding and experiences with the following:
Emerging knowledge of the alphabet and awareness of words and letters
Phonological awareness (How sounds are put together to form words)
Sentences are made up of separate words
Words are composed of syllables
Words are made up of sounds that can be separated from each other and manipulated in other ways
Sounds that are separated (or segmented) from words can be put back together again to form words
Begin to understand that writing and representing can be used to convey an idea or message
Share literacy experiences with others for enjoyment
Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
Know that spoken sounds and words can be written down using letters of the alphabet and
how to write high-frequency sight words and known words
Create short texts to explore, record and report ideas and events using familiar words and beginning writing knowledge
Compose texts using some sight words and known words
Use opportunities to write in their home language and dialect and make basic connections with English, including Aboriginal languages and Aboriginal English
Why are puzzles an important part of a prepared learning environment?
"As the child explores the environment, she becomes aware of and interested in the variety of colours and shapes in the indoor and outdoor environment. This is the time to give very simple shape and colour puzzles as children love to put things inside containers, such as puzzle pieces in spaces that match.
Through early experiences with such puzzles, children can develop many useful skills: handling materials, refining movement, completing a cycle of activity, carrying out logical steps in order, solving problems. There is a built in control of error in puzzles so the child can judge for herself, without the help of another person, if the work has been done correctly. This is high-level mental activity." (Olaf, 2009).
How to invite learning and play with our Montessori inspired puzzles:
Setting up your playroom with purpose can make such a difference in how your child engages and explores. Follow these quick set up tips to help ensure your playroom is set up for learning success:
1. Display your puzzles on a shelf, making it easier for your child to see what is available and to select what interests them.
2. Make sure it's aesthetically pleasing and inviting - use one of our custom made play trays or a basket to make it more attractive and appealing to your child.
3. What goes together? By using one of our custom made play trays or a basket, you show your child what belongs together which helps them learn to keep all the necessary items together.
4. Set your child up for success - prepare the environment so that they can help themselves and be resourceful, make sure everything your child needs for the activity is on hand for them to engage with independently, a younger child might need your assistance more but over time they will exercise their own sense of agency and autonomy in their play.
5. Change up how an activity is presented for play. Set up your puzzle completed on the shelf, or change it up and have the puzzle pieces in a tray or basket on the left next to the empty puzzle base on the right. Providing opportunities like this for your child to track movement form left to right is an indirect preparation for reading in the play environment (Davies, 2019)
Please note: The price is for the wooden letter tiles and cvc word building board only. Other products that are pictured are not included.
As this is a product from wood please be aware that measurements are approximate and the product you receive will vary due to the look of the wood. Our toys will have their own unique wood grains, wood knots, individual characteristics and sizes are approximate. Your product will not look exactly the same as the picture shown. Refunds and returns will not be provided on the basis of the look of your product as all products will vary with the look of their natural wood and the way they are made due to the nature of the product being wooden.
Warning: Choking hazard. This product is only suitable for children aged 3 years old and above. This product is not to be used with children under 3 years of age or children who put items/objects into their mouths as it contains small parts which can be a choking hazard.
Direct parental supervision is required during play and use of this product. This product should be checked each time prior to use and must be discarded immediately if you find any damage or other safety concerns.
Disclaimer and Child Safety:
The Play Emporium does not take any responsibility or liability in any damages, injury, accident or illness that occurs from or during use of toys and products sold: The purchaser of all products agrees that it is the parent and/or guardian of the child's responsibility to ensure all products and toys are in safe to use condition and parents and/or guardians are to directly supervise children at all times and ensure the safety of children and all others using our products and toys.
If products and toys show any sign of damage or safety concerns they should be discarded immediately. Our toys and products should not be used for any other purpose or in any other way than what they are intended for. Only children aged 3 years and older and who do not put items in their mouth during play should be allowed to play with any products and toys sold by The Play Emporium.